The final “normal “meeting of the 39th season commenced promptly at 1030 a.m. with eight apologies having been offered.
The members were advised that one item for addition to the A.G.M. Agenda had been notified concerning the distribution of the Christmas Lunch Charitable collection but no candidates had been added to the list for positions of First and Second Vice Chairmen and which were ideally needed for the Forum’s organisation going forward. John Taylor was still able to take bookings for the Members’ Spring Lunch (33 out of 50 potential places taken) with a deadline of next week’s meeting (A.G.M.).
The Forum Membership were pleased to welcome back Mr Michael Bevington Tour Guide for Fountain’s Abbey and associated places who would conclude his trilogy of talks to us with “The Studley Deer Park”. Over the next hour Michael entertained and informed us about Studley Royal Estate, The Obelisk and St Mary’s Church, Studley House and Stables, The Deer Park, The Lime Kiln and Glacial Valley, The Ice Houses and The Valley of the Seven Bridges. Some of the Family History associated with the Estate was shared with us starting in 1180 with Richard De Aleman Lord of Studley Royal; in 1452 ten generations of Mallory’s inhabited the Estate and marriage saw the introduction of the Aislabie family name with the Estate then in the same family/descendants until 1966. We were informed of the genesis and construction of St Mary’s Church commissioned in 1870 by George Robinson 1st Marquess of Ripon and designed by architect William Burges, the same pair being responsible for a further Memorial Church The Church of Christ The Consoler at Skelton-cum- Newby in memory of Robinson’s brother-in-law Frederick Vyner murdered by Greek Bandits in 1870. Mention was made of Studley House built in 1750 but destroyed by fire in 1946; The Choristers’ House built in 1873 as a Music School and the Lost Belvedere, a Folly or Gazebo. Information was shared about the make up of the Deer in the Park namely Fallow, Red and Sika with a total population of around 350/400. The talk was supported by an excellent slide show covering the principal features of the Estate. Questions were asked at the end of the talk and appetites had been whetted to visit or revisit these National Trust Locations.
The Vote Of Thanks on behalf of thirty- one attendees was given by Michael Cochrane.
NEIL RAMSHAW SECRETARY