Terry gave a quick summary of his previous talk from the 24th October 2017: ” New Park’s origins began in 1500’s Harrogate with the discovery of spa spring wells—Tewit Well being the first discovered. Subsequent wells were found which led to the formation of the two villages in High Harrogate and Low Harrogate and the advent of tourism. The first three streets built in New Park were Park Row, Park Street and Prospect Terrace. The growing community needed a school and New Park School opened in 1897 75 children ranging from 5 years to 14 years attended. As the community continued to increase the school was extended in 1910/11.
In 1907 the Gas Company installed a narrow gauge railway. They had observed the one operating in Masham, which was built to reduce road wear and tear and would be cheaper to run.”
In the 1840’s the Harrogate Improvement Committee decided to have a Gas Company established at Rattle Crag linking the two villages. In July 4th 1845 the birth of the area of New Park with its growth from the Little Wonder Coaching Inn and Knox stimulated by said Gas Company. We saw how the Little Wonder Inn was, over the years, extended in three stages. Terry advised that the boundaries of New Park were essentially Yewdale Avenue (West), Eastville Terrace (North), Knox Avenue (East) and Jennyfield Drive (South). With the establishment of the gas works coal was brought by steam traction locomotives from Starbeck. The community which developed in this area was both hard working and with a sense of social togetherness. In 1882 the Electric Works were built on the site which is now a gym (formerly the Academy)”
He gave the history of the small ‘saddle engines’ used by the gas company. The most famous being ‘Barber’ plus two other engines being ‘ Drewry’ and ‘Becket’. Terry spoke of the strong community spirit in the New Park area.
Local shops opened, e.g. Lupton & Son, the Post Office and a laundry setting high standards for the area.
Terry was thanked for his second History of New Park Part 2 which was echoed by all the members.
Prior to the talk the Treasurer presented the audited accounts for the year ending 30th June 2018.